sodrodder

Re: IMCA LM

Postby J20in1st » November 6th, 2018, 3:58 pm

You sure?
You drive a 9:1 by chance?
J20in1st

Postby 98arpy » November 7th, 2018, 11:34 am

I think that IMCA should contact Don Blackshear at Pace Performance. He is the expert in the CT525 engine program.
He created the Game Changer 525 sprint car engine that has taken over the 305 class at Knoxville.
He has 525 engines running with USMTS and Wissota.
The DC 18 525 engine designed for the DIRTcar/ UMP modifieds is winning races against open engines at half the price.
It would fit right in with the existing IMCA late model engines even though it give up probably 100 hp.
You can reach Don at 724-977-7424.
98arpy

Postby drttrc 3 » November 11th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Late Models need a lower level class they can sell used parts to. There is no place to sell anything ,engine, heads, even a bare chassis. If you want to update you have to eat your used stuff, that makes it harder to keep going. just my opinion
drttrc 3

Postby 72fan » November 11th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Isn't that kind of what the class they started in S.E. Iowa and Mo. is? Just wondering. :roll:
Warren Busse: The first liar doesn't have a chance!
72fan

Postby J20in1st » November 11th, 2018, 10:11 pm

drttrc 3 wrote:Late Models need a lower level class they can sell used parts to. There is no place to sell anything ,engine, heads, even a bare chassis. If you want to update you have to eat your used stuff, that makes it harder to keep going. just my opinion

9:1 limited Lates. Darlington WI runs them. Sport mod shock and engine.
J20in1st

Postby 15D » November 13th, 2018, 8:25 pm

I sold out my IMCA LM at the end of this season. I took 50 cents on the dollar for what I thought the complete car and extra parts were worth. A couple of reasons for this, I'm in my mid-50's and this stuff is a lot of work and other then a little help from my brother on Saturday Mornings, the maintenance and set up of the car I was on my own (driver lived 60 miles away and worked a different shift.) I couldn't even get a neighborhood kid to help out for the price of a pit pass and a cheeseburger or two at the track. Sponsorship's are difficult to come by, and I haven't had one that even paid for the years worth of vinyl for the advertising on the car. Purses are enough to cover for a driver, one crew member, and most of the gas it takes to run for a night. You have to run in the top 5 to be able to afford to pay from the winnings a tire replacement or two + some extra help in the pits. NASCAR running on anything but Sunday afternoons has siphoned off all the Fortune 500 sponsorship dollars. Tracks and individual teams could get enough sponsorship money to make this a go before then, not now. The car owners may be out a little money at the end of a season, but not down thousands or tens-of-thousands like today.

Another problem that caused me to move on is that unless you buy a new chassis from a dealer you do not get any tips for setups and have a hard time keeping up with the teams that do. Conventional setups, such as the LM Guide that could be bought from Garrison, have no use today, unless you like watching your car fall back in the pack. I finally broke down and put a spring smasher together at the beginning of the season. It took me till July to finally get something close and then we were competitive and could actually move up and pass for the lead in the feature.

Trying hard not to come off as complaining, just trying to explain why you wont see the 8M run in eastern Iowa next season.
15D

Previous

Return to Iowa Dirt Racing