Martin, Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, Jr.

Martin, Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, Jr.

Postby raceaholic » January 10th, 2017, 11:45 am

With the sudden announcement that Carl Edwards is done racing and the early retirements of Gordon, Stewart, Jr. cutting his season short last year, Mark Martin coming out of early retirement to help out but would not race big tracks, etc. a sign of what to be in NASCAR has emerged.

As with Jr., drivers are understanding any type of crash can cause brain damage.
You hit a wall, another car, flip, etc., the brain keeps moving banging against the skull.
Drivers in NASCAR no longer have the mentality of moonshiners.
Research is way far better than the good old days.
Put the two together (more educated drivers/better data) and the trend will continue, of drivers leaving the sport sooner than in the past.
Drivers receiving better pay and using their intelligence to pursue other money making interests (car dealerships, sports announcers) is another reason not to hang around too long in a sport that can do so much damage to a persons brain.

NASCAR can come up with all types of new developments for driver safety.
Until they can figure out how to get the brain to not move, when a car hits a wall at 200 mph, more and more "smart" drivers will leave the sport as soon as they feel their future no longer relies on a NASCAR pay check.

"Old School" but not stupid,
RACEAHOLIC
raceaholic

Re: Martin, Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, Jr.

Postby huskerdirt » January 10th, 2017, 4:37 pm

1. Nobody knows why Carl Edwards is retiring except Carl Edwards.
2. Last I checked Gordon is running the Rolex 24 hours. Stewart is running close to 80 dirt shows this year.
3. There was no need for Junior to comeback last year. No reason at all, his car wasn't gonna make the chase. And wanted to be a 100 percent for 2017.
4. One of reason drivers leave the sport earlier is because they are making a lot more money than before. And the sport has changed to a young gun deal. All the subjects you mentioned have put 20 years or more into the sport. I don't understand why people are shocked when a Gordon or Stewart decide not to race in NASCAR anymore.

NASCAR is going through a cycle of drivers leaving and new ones coming in. Literally every sport has this about once every 10 years. In fact dirt late model racing is on the verge of it right now.
huskerdirt

Postby raceaholic » January 10th, 2017, 5:20 pm

If you think that the possibility of head concussions was not a factor in the drivers decisions to stop racing or in Jr's case, get out for awhile, you are sadly mistaken.
Hope you are not comparing what Gordon will be doing to 40 cars running side by side for 500 laps.

Stewart, don't even want to go there.
Think maybe he got the old bell rung long before Cup.
This guy has tried to get into a race car driving by at 30 mph (Kenny Irwin) tossing his $1,000+ helmet at the wind shield of a driver coming towards him, climbing up into the stands to confront a drunk fan, to, well not going to get into that one.

Husker, concussions are very much a part of why Cup drivers retire.
That my friend is not an opinion.

"Old School" and have missed you.
RACEAHOLIC
raceaholic

Postby raceaholic » January 12th, 2017, 11:01 am

Carl has confirmed that the possibility of long term head injuries was the main reason for getting out at 37 (in his prime).
As NASCAR brings in more and more of the "poster child" like drivers they want, you will see the average age of retirement continue to go down.
Along with these young drivers good looks, charm and clean records (this what any sport would want) comes a brain, as in pretty smart humans.
Once they reach their level of financial security, goodbye.

Now that Dale is married and he has never been more happy, I think this could be his last year.

"Old School" and NASCAR has truly become a young persons sport just like the other sports,
RACEAHOLIC
raceaholic

Postby raceaholic » January 12th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Bo Jackson just stated, if he had known of the possible risk for permanent head injuries, from playing football, he would never have played the game.

"Old School" and I am starting to understand why "some" X sports stars are having such hard times today (murder, abuse, going broke, drugs, etc.)
Risk vs reward.
Less and less will be accepting the risk.
RACEAHOLIC
raceaholic

Postby huskerdirt » January 13th, 2017, 8:12 pm

raceaholic wrote:Carl has confirmed that the possibility of long term head injuries was the main reason for getting out at 37 (in his prime).
As NASCAR brings in more and more of the "poster child" like drivers they want, you will see the average age of retirement continue to go down.
Along with these young drivers good looks, charm and clean records (this what any sport would want) comes a brain, as in pretty smart humans.
Once they reach their level of financial security, goodbye.

Now that Dale is married and he has never been more happy, I think this could be his last year.

"Old School" and NASCAR has truly become a young persons sport just like the other sports,
RACEAHOLIC

No it wasn't the main reason. Was it a reason? yes. He also listed off two other reason you've failed to mention. Imagine that, you not giving the whole story.
huskerdirt

Postby raceaholic » January 14th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Trust me on this one Husker (like you in L.M. touring) I have many friends involved with NASCAR (our second home is in Florida) and this was the "main" reason.
The truth is, I'm surprised he even mentioned it as a reason.
Some drivers do not want to admit being scared of anything, let alone a reason to quit early.

"Old School' and no opinion on this one,
RACEAHOLIC
raceaholic

Return to NASCAR/IRL/F1