argument against The Chase

argument against The Chase

Postby Speedbump » March 21st, 2016, 7:05 pm

A different side of the argument against the case, one that makes a great deal of sense to me.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/it ... of-urgency
Spent the last year Rocky Mountain Way...
Speedbump

Re: argument against The Chase

Postby raceaholic » March 25th, 2016, 7:15 pm

The problem with this story is the writer right off the bat wants to compare auto racing to stick and ball sports.

Need to separate racing from these other sports.
Not apples to apples.

I like the chase format more than any they have had in the past.
Drivers can get into the chase right up to the final event.
Best of all, drivers are taking more chances than ever, even the ones who get in early.
Makes for more excitement on the track.

raceaholic
raceaholic

Postby Speedbump » March 25th, 2016, 7:27 pm

That is one reason that I do not like the elimination style playoff format and winner take all final race....this isn't a stick and ball sport!
Speedbump

Postby raceaholic » March 25th, 2016, 7:48 pm

Guess we are the only two on here who watch NASCAR. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And we can't even agree. ;)

raceaholic
raceaholic

Postby DPORT » March 28th, 2016, 10:40 am

I think more people watch than will admit. NASCAR has really changed in the last 25 years and most of the old school fans are turned off by it. I like the short tracks and road courses but that's about it. I have noticed that they haven't manipulated a finish yet this season. Late race cautions have been legit cautions. IF they stay consistent (and they won't) with that, they could get some credibility back. They also need to stick to the rules they put in place for an entire season at minimum and tweak them in the offseason if needed. The Chase needs to go in my opinion. If someone runs away with the points, well better luck next year. Just because the NFL, NBA etc have playoffs doesn't make it a good idea for motorsports.
Jack Greene
Davenport, IA
DPORT

Postby Speedbump » March 31st, 2016, 4:41 pm

The Chase format I can live with, it is the three elimination rounds and "winner take all" final race that I don't like.

I consider a points championship to be more like a 10 round boxing match instead of a Super Bowl-type "winner take all" title.

Crowning a champion that didn't even compete for half the regular season isn't cool either. Maybe it works for the team or car owner champion, but not the drivers championship.
Speedbump

Return to NASCAR/IRL/F1