Time to think about fans, sponsors, etc.

Time to think about fans, sponsors, etc.

Postby raceaholic » February 4th, 2016, 4:00 pm

I am a NASCAR fan and proud of it.
So you anti NASCAR folks do not need to read this.

When you watch the Cardinals, Cubs, etc. you do not expect to see any of those players competing the next day at a minor league baseball game at your local ball field.
Same for any professional athlete, be it football, basketball, etc.
For one, it is not allowed nor should it be.

When a driver gets to the NASCAR Cup level sponsor money is in the millions.
Sponsors are sponsoring the driver in the car, not a back of the pack fill-in.
When the NASCAR race fan forks over big money for a race. they expect all the stars to be there.
When a team owner signs a contract it is for one driver.

Now, when a NASCAR driver decides to compete in anything other than a NASCAR Cup event and he/she is injured enough to keep them from racing, many are being cheated.
Sponsors, owners, fans and even NASCAR (part of their PR is advertising these stars as being there).
If some of these "professional" stars of NASCAR have the freedom to go off playing around with the minor leagues, maybe it is time NASCAR steps in and says, not while you are under contract to race NASCAR Cup.
Again, we don't see this in other sports at this level.

I hate to say this, as I have always been a huge Tony Stewart fan.
What he has been doing the last 3 years is showing me he only cares about himself.
Not about his NASCAR sponsors, not about his NASCAR car owner, not about his NASCAR fans, not about NASCAR.
A mature adult, that has respect for all those mentioned above, would consider outcomes when taking part in activities that offer a great chance of causing injury.
Do not give me that tired old "you can get killed walking on a sidewalk" stuff.
I said GREATER chance of being injured.
You need at times to walk on a sidewalk and I take precautions doing that (walk the side looking at traffic).
A person does not have to take part in the activities that have cost Tony much over the last 3 years.

He is not the only driver out there having FUN, with the possibility of putting them self off the track.

Folks who put time and money into making you a "professional" sports figure deserve you showing them respect.
That would be giving them a commitment of taking care of yourself.

After NASCAR and nobody else is paying any of your bills, go do what your ego says.

raceaholic
raceaholic

Re: Time to think about fans, sponsors, etc.

Postby Speedbump » February 5th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Well, first thing is that Tony was not competing in anything, he was out running sand rails in the desert. Kinda the same thing as Jimmy Johnson riding on top of a golf cart or Denny Hamlin playing basketball.

Second, NASCAR does not have anyone under contract to race in NASCAR Cup....they have gone out of their way many times to clarify that drivers were "independent contractors" and are always quick to point out that "no driver is bigger than the series". Truth is, I believe that Tony (and Kenny Schrader and Bobby Allison before him) benefit NASCAR greatly by getting out there and showing their talents to short track fans. Not everyone can afford to go to a Cup race and these guys showing up at Podunk Speedway to race certainly raises the interest level in NASCAR events.

With all the trouble he has had in the last 3 years, it does not seem to affect his sponsorships. They seem to be just as happy and plentiful as during his championship seasons.

I for one was very happy when Smoke announced he would be done with NASCAR soon. It means he will have more time to devote to the kind of racing that I like best....dirt track open wheel. He obviously has made quite a bit in income and has invested wisely enough to benefit his other interests. It seems like Eldora is doing OK, All Star Circuit of Champions is healthier than they have been in a long time, his WoO sprint teams certainly raise the competition level. (I think Tony's greatest skill is hiring good people to run his numerous business interests)
Spent the last year Rocky Mountain Way...
Speedbump

Postby fst75 » February 5th, 2016, 2:40 pm

speedbump I have to agree 100% !! think johnnys way off on this one ! I don't think tony owes nascar anything, hes paid his dues in full !!
fst75

Postby raceaholic » February 5th, 2016, 3:29 pm

All I will say is, I respect others opinions.

As for sponsor contracts:
They are made up and signed when a driver is healthy and most the time multi year contracts.
Remember Home Depot?
Do you know why he lost them?

Ask Waltrip why NAPA left them.

Sponsors leave professional sports figures all the time over such issues.
Just ask Tiger Woods.
Not a top player anymore and he has lost a very big one.

Now for another thing that is just as sad.
From some fans to some racing media, they are all talking about WHEN WILL TONY RETURN?
Or.
WILL TONY RACE ANOTHER YEAR NOW?

Guess we not only have Tony not putting his well being first but many others.
How about taking this for what it is folks.
A very serious, life changing back injury for a 44 year old man.
Even a NASCAR Cup driver has said, "remember Busch, maybe he will come back this year and win the Championship.
I can see NASCAR already making plans so that Tony can come back after missing X number of races and still be eligible to run for the Championship.
All they see is a way to get more PR out of this, like they did with Busch.

Here Tony, let me be the first who talks with you as a concerned human being.
YOU HAVE PAID YOUR DUES, like some are saying.
You do not need to get back in a race car.
You have given me enough positive memories.
Get yourself the "proper" LONG TERM medical help that is needed for a full recovery.
Do not say, I'm Tony the Tiger and I need to get back in that car as soon as I can climb in it.
"I" want you to have the best of life for many years to come, unrestricted.

Do you want to enjoy life away from racing for years to come?
Want to end up using a cane or worse by the time you are 50?
Those that speak only of how soon will he return or will he now race another year, do not have "your" best interest in mind.
This injury will have a longer effect on the quality of life you will now have than the broken leg.

The last 3 years has been his worse, all because of off NASCAR track activities.

raceaholic
raceaholic

Postby Speedbump » February 5th, 2016, 3:53 pm

If I remember right, Tony Stewart and Home Depot parted ways when Smoke quit JGR and started his own team. They lasted for a year or two with Logano before getting out of NASCAR. Didn't MWRs repeated cheating cause NAPA to pull funding?

You are correct that Tiger Woods has lost millions in endorsements and other income because of his hobby. But I do find it hard to draw a connection between a married man banging Denny's waitresses and driving a race car.

I personally do not care if Tony gets back into another racecar or not, although I do realize that is what makes him happy and is there a better reason to get up every morning and go to work other than to earn enough money to make yourself happy? Tony seems to be morphing into a figurehead that can benefit racing in general (not just NASCAR) more as a track/series/car owner than as a driver.

The whole Kyle Busch thing from last year is a big part of why I have checked out on the Cup series this year. I don't like the fact that someone can miss 1/3 of the season and still be crowned season champ. (just a personal opinion). I will still pay some attention to the trucks this year to see how Rico Abreu and Christopher Bell will do.

it is funny that some fans and media claim that Tony Stewart is quitting racing after 2016. That is not true, he is only quitting racing in NASCAR full time. He has announced that he has a variety of races that he wants to compete in, including Big Block Mods and Oswego Super Mods....but that was before this injury. It will be interesting to see what happens when he is healed up.
Speedbump

Postby raceaholic » February 10th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Any guess as to who will be announced as the driver Friday?
Or.......
will there be multiple drivers.

Hate that, one till he gets back is much better.

raceaholic
raceaholic

Postby Speedbump » February 11th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Looks like Paw Paw got Ty Dillon into the ride for Bass Pro Shop sponsored weekends.

I agree, stick with Vickers until Smoke is ready. BV is capable of picking up a win and getting into the chase.
Speedbump

Return to NASCAR/IRL/F1